Stan Winston was a legend, his work was extraordinary, and for a movie crazy guy like me, he was the wizard of magic. For those who don’t know who the guy is, ladies and gentlemen let me present to you the guy who has been the pioneer in the special effects industry in Hollywood. Stan Winston is the guy responsible for the amazing, and unbelievable stuff we saw over the years. He has given his craft to some of the biggest blockbusters in the history of Hollywood. The Terminator series, the Jurassic Park series, Aliens, the Predator series, and Edward Scissorhands, and very recently Iron Man, all has been his work. His recent projects were Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, GI Joe, Shutter Island and James Cameron’s Avatar. Winner of four Academy Awards, Stan Winston, aged 62, died on June 15, 2008, at his home in Malibu, California after suffering for seven years with multiple myeloma.
* 1982: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Heartbeeps
* 1987: Won Oscar For Best Visual Effects: Aliens
* 1988: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: Predator
* 1991: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Edward Scissorhands
* 1992: Won 2 Oscars – Best Visual Effects & Best Makeup: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
* 1993: Oscar Nomination For Best Makeup: Batman Returns
* 1994: Won Oscar For Best Visual Effects: Jurassic Park
* 1998: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: The Lost World: Jurassic Park
* 2002: Oscar Nomination For Best Visual Effects: A.I.
Thank you for all the moments of magic you gave us Stan, may his soul rest in peace.
Sources: Stan Winston’s page on Wikipedia